As a young, dynamic and growing company, PowerPhotonic offers staff a challenging and rewarding career opportunity. Its engineering ethos is embedded in the culture of the organisation and the ability to work at the cutting edge of technology will be enough for many to consider PowerPhotonic a natural choice to further their career.
Headquartered in Dalgety Bay near Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland, PowerPhotonic is situated in modern spacious offices with excellent facilities. The company offers a breadth of opportunity that few others can offer in Europe. Working in the heart of the company really does make a difference. If you have a significant contribution to make, we’ll make sure it is significant for your success and the success of the company. But for many, the opportunity to move to Scotland will be a key attraction. Scotland is a great place to live and work. The countryside and beaches, rivers and glens are world renowned and all within easy reach of the city centres. There is a wide choice of places to live, with lively towns and cities for those who are young or young at heart and rural communities for those who want a quieter life away from work.
We are a world-class company with the ambition to reach a global audience. No matter whether you are a graduate or an experienced engineer, an expert in optics or operations, if you want to be part of a growing company, give us a call. We are always on the lookout for dynamic talent that wants to make a difference.
If you are interested in joining a dynamic and growing company, send your c.v. and a covering letter to HR@powerphotonic.com
Product Development Engineer
Our product development is aimed at ensuring we stay ahead of the competition and remain as the industry’s leader in delivering innovation, functionality and performance.
As part of our continued growth, we are looking for a Product Development Engineer to join our ambitious team. This is an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated self-starter to join PowerPhotonic at a key period in the company’s growth.
As a member of our Product Development Team, you will be involved in all stages of the product development process from identifying customer and market requirements through to introduction into production and subsequent support. The team is also involved in other technical activities in support of sales and marketing.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Key areas of responsibility will include:
- Analysis of customer requirements and generation of product specifications
- Design and test of optical components and systems, optical system modelling
- Optimisation of design for performance and manufacturability
- Development of software tools for product design and test analysis
- Transfer of new products into production
- Subsequent support to production and customer
Required qualifications and experience
A strong first degree in Physics, Engineering or Optics/Lasers or a related field required. A Master degree or PhD would be seen as an advantage.
1-3 years’ work experience in optical design is preferred, but the company will consider candidates straight from further education for this role.
Essential technical expertise:
- Design and modelling of optical elements
- Understanding of laser beam characteristics
- Paraxial design, Gaussian beam propagation, diffraction analysis
- Experience in ZEMAX, VirtualLab Fusion or equivalent
Desirable technical expertise:
- Knowledge of optical test methods is beneficial
- Numerical analysis of data for performance modelling and optimisation using tools such as Matlab/Python/C++ or similar
- Development of automated data processing tools
To enable success in this fast-paced environment we are looking for candidates who can demonstrate the following:
- Creativity – generating innovative solutions
- Flexibility - developing products addressing a range of different markets
- Customer focus – understanding and addressing customer requirements across different applications
- Operating in a deadline driven environment to meet customer’s schedule
- Ability to work in a multi-functional team
- Ability to work under own initiative
- Experience of working in a manufacturing environment desirable
- Excellent oral and written communication skills essential
This is a full-time position.
To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org